home news index honorees membership gallery index forum

Forum Home > Songs and Composers > Hawaiian lyrics for Pearly Shells?

Hawaiian lyrics for Pearly Shells?

(56 Messages)

Dubhe
Posted 4/12/02 at 8:04pm

Post a reply

Hawaiian lyrics for Pearly Shells?

Does anyone have the Hawaiian lyrics for Pearly Shells? I spent some time working in Hawaii years ago, and have fond memories of singing this song with a few of my Hawaiian friends. I knew the words by heart (I never learned the language, just the words to this song), but have forgotten them over the years.

Top | Bottom
Jackie Cadinha
jbay@angelfire.com
Posted 5/27/02 at 1:05pm

Post a reply

Pearly Sheels in Hawaiian

Pu'u pu (a o ewa)
i ka nuku (naka naka)
e lawe mai (a he ike)
ika mea ho (o ka aina)
a hea aina (ua kaulana)
mai na kupuna mai

he ala hele puu loa
he ala hele no ka a pa au
repeat las two lines

i think this is sort of how it goes
close enough!

Hingson Chun
Hingson@aol.com
Posted 5/31/02 at 12:05pm

Post a reply

Hawaiian Lyrics for Pearly Shells

"Pearly Shells" is a purely english composition. It lifted the melody from "Pu'u o Ewa" (I think that's the correct Hawaiian title) which we learned, in Hawaiian, as children.

I was looking for these lyrics and have yet to find them. Yet, they are a folk standard in the islands and I bet you could find them in a compilation.

I'll keep looking.

Melanee
Posted 6/18/02 at 3:06pm

Post a reply

Hawaiian Lyrics to Pearly Shells-English & Hawaiian

I hope this helps! I

Pupu a o Ewa
Pearly shells from the ocean

I ka nuku
Shining in the sun

E lawe mai
Covering the shore

Ahe aina
When I see them

Mai no
My heart tells me that I love you

Ala hula puuloa he ala hele no kaahupahau
More than all the little pearly shells
I apau huna one i ka kahakai
For ev'ry garain of sand upon the beach

Ua honi nau
I've got a kiss for you

Ho'ikoe lawa na
And I've got more left over

Pakahi hoku 'ika lani
For each star that twinkles in the blue
** I don't know whattranslations go
with "Puhau"
Puhau
Ala hula puuloahe ala hele no kaahupahau

Jesse
jessehj@nidlink.com
Posted 7/3/02 at 9:07am

Post a reply

Pearly Shells et al

Here are the words (and chords) lifted from Huapala.org, the great lyric website which isn't up and running these days. Does anyone know why? JT

Pupu A O 'Ewa (Shells of 'Ewa) - Traditional

Hui:
A
Püpü (a`o `Ewa) i ka nu`a (nä känaka)
A6 D
E naue mai (a e `ike)
E7
I ka mea hou (o ka `äina)
A A6
Ahe `äina (ua kaulana)
D
Mai nä küpuna mai
A E7
Alahula Pu`uloa he ala hele no
A
Ka`ahupahau, (Ka'ahupähau)
E7
Alahula Pu`uloa he ala hele no
A
Ka`ahupähau, Ka`ahupähau

A
Nani Ka`ala hemolele i ka mälie
E7 ` A
Kuahiwi kaulana a`o `Ewa
A6 D
E ki`i ana i ka makani o ka `äina
E7 A
Hea ka Moa`e eia au e ke aloha

Kilakila `o Polea noho i ka `olu
Ia hom e ho`ohihi a ka malihini
E walea ana i ka `olu o ke kiawe
I ka pa kolonahe a ke Kiu

Aaron
Posted 8/5/02 at 11:08pm

Post a reply

Pearly Shells

Pearly Shells and Pupu A'o 'Ewa are two totally different songs. The melody for Pearly Shells is similar to Pupu A'o 'Ewa, but please don't confuse them.

dove
Posted 4/28/03 at 4:04pm

Post a reply

pearly shells lyrics

pearly shells in the ocean shining in the sun
covering the shore, when i see them my heart tells me that i love you
more than all those little pearly shells
for every grain of sand on the beach
ive got a kiss for you
and ive got more left over for each star that twinkles in the blue
pearly shells from the ocean shinning in the sun,
covering the shore, when i see them my heart tells methat i love you more than all those pearly shells

peghain
peghain@yahoo.com
Posted 8/26/03 at 11:08am

Post a reply

pearly shells / pupu o ewa

My Kumu told me that Pupu O Ewa was around for a while before someone wrote Pearly Shells to amuse the tourists... per her, the translation is 'the shells at ewa draw the people of the land, to hear the stories of the land famed/beloved, near the bay protected by the shark goddess'. I can never see a "haole" style performance of this song (where they repeat the 'pearly shells' motions to the Hawai'ian lyrics) without cringing alittle....Also per her, the motions for pearly shells can be whatever conveys the meaning best in your mind (ie, show your shells, ocean waves, rising sun, beach, etc) but if you really want to do pupu o ewa correctly it should be researched if you can't find a decent teacher

'Ohu
ohu1@aol.com
Posted 9/16/03 at 10:09pm

Post a reply

Pupu a'o Ewa

According to Na Mele o Hawai'i Nei by Samuel Elbert and Noelani Mahoe
this song is also known as Ka'ahupähau and it honors 'Ewa on O'ahu.
It goes on to include the lyrics as found on the huapala.org website with the notation that nu'a and naue are sometimes replaced with nuku and lawe respectively. It also mentions that this song was sung for more than a hundred years an English version called PEARLY SHELLS became popular but the poetic reference to the shark goddess was not kept in the English version. So it seems that even though they both have the same melody they have two different sets of lyrics that are not related. So I have to agree with Peghain! A hui hou!

Makita
makitad@hotmail.com
Posted 3/15/04 at 4:03pm

Post a reply

How do you pronounce each Hawaiian word?

Does anyone know how to pronounce the Hawaiian words to Pearly Shells? I want to teach my first grade students both the English and Hawaiian along with the motions. I remember most of the motions until the very end. So, if anyone knows, please email to share this information.

ALOHA!!!!

Keola Donaghy
keola@nahenahe.net
Posted 3/24/04 at 9:03am

Post a reply

Re: Pupu a'o Ewa

Keali'i Reichel recorded it on his latest release, Ke'alaokamaile. It contains all of the verses I know of an the pronunciation is (as in all of his recordings) superb. Lyrics are included in the jacket. If you want to learn the song, this would be the best way to do it. Trying to explain how to pronunce Hawaiian properly by using English is difficult, inaccurate and frustrating for both the person trying to explain it as well as the person attempting to learn it. Best to listen to a well-performed version that provides accurate lyrics, and this Keali'i's recording is the best I know of that is currently available.

Pippy
pippy@prodigy.net
Posted 3/30/04 at 5:03pm

Post a reply

Soundtrack for Donovan's Reef

I would like to get a list of the songs on the soundtrack of Donovan's Reef.I am looking for the name of a certain song played on Amelia's arrival and again at the end of the film. I can't make out the name or words as it is in Hawaiian. Any help would be appreciated. You can send any info to the email address. Thanks!

dkraylor
dkraylor@excite.con
Posted 4/10/04 at 4:04am

Post a reply

pupu a'o ewa

does anyone know the name of the group of singers who sang this song on the movie donovans reef with john wayne? thanks

Marjorie Scott
hmhf@lava.net
Posted 7/5/04 at 6:07pm

Post a reply

Pearly Shells sheet music

For all who asked, the sheet music, with chord notation was published by Criterion Music, and is probably available either singly or in a Criterion song book. email:criterion_la@earthlink.com. Address: 6124 Selma Av., Hollywood, CA 90028. HMHF member Michael Goldsen is CEO. Criterion also published sheet music for "Tiny Bubbles", "Keep Your Eyes on the Hands" and several others.

Robert
okbca@aol.com
Posted 8/1/04 at 10:08am

Post a reply

Donovan's Reef Song

The song you mention in Donovan's Reef is a Hawaiian song titled Pupu O Ewa, or Pupu A'o Ewa. Hawaiian singers The Brothers Cazimero" have a great rendition of it on their CD "The Best of the Brothers Cazimero". It is on track 3 of the CD, not track 2 as the label states. They do a great show at the Bishop Museum in Honolulu and base the show on truly traditional Hawaiian and Polynesian music.

Hope that this helps.

Ronnie Stefaniak
dstefa@kiski.net
Posted 10/19/04 at 2:10pm

Post a reply

Pearly shells

I am looking to buy a CD or music tape with Disney's song "Pearly Shells" from their video entitiled "Disney's Fun Songs at the Beach at Walt Disney." I have the video but would really like to have the song on a CD or music at dstefa@kiski.net
Thank you so much,
Ronnie

Beverly
bluebird@fea.net
Posted 2/8/05 at 8:02am

Post a reply

pearly shells

I cannot find the song lyrics for Pearly Shells.

I want to teach this to my ESL class. We are talking about Hawai'i

Nick Boskolupus
justbecuzicare@yahoo.com
Posted 2/20/05 at 2:02pm

Post a reply

Pearly Shells lyrics

Thank you, one and all, for the lyrics to Pearly Shells. It's a lovely tune. Speaking of the ghastly things done to that song (and others; need I mention Tiny Bubbles?) by haole people, it's embarrassing to confess that the first memory I have of the tune was from an old C&H Sugar commercial on TV. The "lyrics" started out:

C&H
Pure Cane Sugar
from Hawaii ...

and probably went downhill from there. So, chalk up another beautiful song ruined by Western "civilization"!

Barry Wooderson
b.wooderson@xtra.co.nz
Posted 5/4/05 at 3:05pm

Post a reply

pearly shells

Try it like this mebbe.

Boys (Girls echo boys)

Bb
Pearly Shells (Pearly Shells)

from the ocean (from the ocean)

Dm Eb
Shining in the sun (Shining in the sun)

C7 F7
Covering the shore (Covering the shore)

Bb
When i see them (When i see them)

F7 Bb7 Eb
my heart tells me that i love you

Ebm Bb F7 Bb
more than all the little pearly shells.

Shirley
cover_girl477@yahoo.com
Posted 6/5/05 at 9:06pm

Post a reply

dance

Does anybody know how to do the hand movements for "Pearly Shells"? What's the hand movements for pearly shells, covering the shores, "with every grain of sand on the beach"?

Zac
zacthick@hotmail.com
Posted 6/17/05 at 8:06am

Post a reply

Chords to Puu A O 'Ewa

Would anyone be so kind as the let me know the chords for the songs Pupu A O 'Ewa and Pearly Shells. I would like to learn these as they are two (or one) of my favorite traditional Hawai'ian songs. Thanks for any help.

reinaldo
camposgoncalves@ig.com.br
Posted 6/23/05 at 1:06pm

Post a reply

Singer's name

I want to know exactly same song's name. The name in english is pearly shells. I just want to know the name of the singers. Please, if you get the name give it to me.

thanks

reinaldo

manda
akkohls@hotmail.com
Posted 7/6/05 at 3:07pm

Post a reply

hand movements

i went to hawaii recently and i learned the song pearly shells and i was trying to remember the hand motions that goes with the song.if you know them please help me out.

thank you

Maka'ala
XxSUPAHstarxX808@yahoo.com
Posted 11/14/05 at 7:11pm

Post a reply

Pupu a o 'Ewa vocals

OK. I have this hard core Hawaiian project to do where i need to get this mele playing. anyone know how i can achieve this? maybe a CD it's on or a website that has it playing? anything and everything can help.

Mahalo,
Maka'ala

Tilak Madawela
tilakmadawela@ao;.com
Posted 12/3/05 at 7:12pm

Post a reply

Pupu A'o 'Ewa

I love this song! Thanks all of you for the information.I was wondering if it was a traditional song. Now I know. Thanks!

karina archer
karinaarcher@hotmail.com
Posted 1/17/06 at 3:01pm

Post a reply

chords and lyrics

could anyone please provide me with some basic chords along with the lyrics to the song pearly shells and tiny bubbles would greatly appreciate it for my children

Amy Bauman
abauman55@hotmail.com
Posted 2/16/06 at 3:02am

Post a reply

chords and lyrics

Weren't the chords and lyrics posted by Jesse on 7/3/02?

Mary
theprincessinger@aol.com
Posted 5/31/06 at 12:05pm

Post a reply

Pearly Shells

I am looking for the lyrics to pearly shells in English with a little hawaiian in it.

Also lovely jula hands in english.
thankyou

Barbara Sanders
rbsanders@molalla.net
Posted 9/15/06 at 8:09pm

Post a reply

Hawiian words to childrens song.

I am a preschool teacher and we have been studying the ocean. I came across and song...."Pearly Shells" a children's song that I think would work well with the theme. I heard it on a tape with one verse in Hawiian words but don't understand the words well enough to know I am pronouncing them correctly. Before I teach the children I want to make sure I have the words correct. Could someone help me please. Thanks

Ralph DeMattia
elskootero@hotmail.com
Posted 11/6/06 at 5:11am

Post a reply

Song in DONOVAN'S REEF

Does anyone know what group recorded that absolutely Beautiful opening song to the film DONOVAN'S REEF, and is a copy available anywhere?

jerry
fjgfinney6@aol.com
Posted 11/14/06 at 12:11pm

Post a reply

pearly shells

the group that sang the Hawaiian version of pearly shells i kamehameha School Glee club. to my knowledge there no recorded version by them.

Christi
lealeahula@earthlink.net
Posted 2/12/07 at 11:02am

Post a reply

Pearly Shells

Aloha Kakou,
Is there a recording of Pearly Shells (CD preferred, but cassette okay, and vinyl last resort) with someone SINGING the lyrics (except for Don Ho, I can only find instrumentals)?
Mahalo

Lloyd Mirafuentes Jr.
lloydm78@aol.com
Posted 2/16/07 at 9:02am

Post a reply

Pearly Shells

I remember singing this song with my Pop & Bros when I was a boy. He used to play the ukulele & sing, while we sing along. Great memories! :)

Christi Moore
lealeahula@earthlink.net
Posted 4/9/07 at 12:04pm

Post a reply

Pearly Shells

Aloha,

Is there a recording of the song Pearly Shells, besides Don Ho's, that is not just instrumental? If so, who and what album name please?

Mahalo,
Le'ale'a

starbucksmine
starbucksmine@gmail.com
Posted 5/28/07 at 11:05am

Post a reply

pearly shells

if you can't find the lyrics a good version to listen to and to copy from is by connie francis....her version
is really very clear. I am sure you could take them from there.

Roy Bodden
ritchbodden@msn.com
Posted 5/28/07 at 3:05pm

Post a reply

Movie - Donovan's Reef

I saw Donovan's Reef in the movies back in the 60's. I just bought the DVD and I have to say that the colors are absolutely beautiful and so vivid. As for the scenery, it's stunning. Was there ever a soundtrack recording?

Deb Brown
Orpheus611@aol.com
Posted 6/3/07 at 3:06pm

Post a reply

Pearly Shells

Did you ever find the soundtrack to Donovan's Reef? I did not see the movie, but am looking for English lyrics/Hawaiian also for "Pearly Shells," along with hand motions that apparently go with it.

I'd appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks!

jerry finney
fjgfinney6@aol.com
Posted 6/4/07 at 8:06am

Post a reply

pupu a o ewa

i found an acapela version of pupu a o ewa by the the st caterine church choir.they are the group that did the movie version in "donovans reef".it is an LP recording titled "aloha oe e malia" i hope this helps. aloha

faye
fchewspencer@hotmail.com
Posted 7/17/07 at 2:07am

Post a reply

music and dance movements for Pearly Shells

We are a non professional sininging ministry and sings to the elderly and housebound. We are looking for the music and dance movements for Pearly Shells.

Help us if you can. Thanks heaps.

VIDAL Claude
bcgmv2@mail.pf
Posted 9/4/07 at 10:09pm

Post a reply

About the song Pearly Shells.

Aloha and Iaorana.
I live in Tahiti and we love Hawaiian songs in Polynesia. I was looking for the lyrics of the songs "Pearly Shells" and "Pupu A'o 'Ewa" and thanks very much to all the people who write these here.
Thanks heaps.

Melody
Posted 9/15/07 at 12:09am

Post a reply

How to dance Pearly Shells

Here's Learn How to Hula.
http://library.thinkquest.org/J0110077/dance.htm

There's the step-by-step direction in dancing the Pearly Shells.

I so love this song. Reminds me of my kindergarten year.

MICHAEL
Posted 9/20/07 at 4:09pm

Post a reply

"Pearly Shells"

Greetings to all,

It was interesting to read that "Pearly Shells" has folk song origins. Both this and "Tiny Bubbles" were credited to songwriter Leon Pober, and published in the 1960s. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to say that Pober, who was born in Massachusetts in 1920 and, at the time of his untimely passing in 1971, was living in California and not Hawaii, 'adapted' these tunes and added the English lyrics. Likewise Harry Owens composed a prolific number of 'Hawaiian' standard songs, but was not of Hawaiian origin. He did, however, live on the island for many decades and performed on the "Hawaii Calls" radio show. So far as I can determine, among the composers who created -or adapted- the bulk of the pop or novelty tunes associated with Hawaii, only two were, in fact, Hawaiian by birth: Charles E. King, composer of what came to be known as "The Hawaiian Wedding Song" and "Song of The Islands", among many other hits, and Johnny Noble ("Little Grass Shack" and "My Tane"). August Goup
il is believed to have been Tahitian, as he fronted a band known as "The Royal Tahitians". They found their greatest success playing at Hawaiian resorts in the 1930s and '40s.

Little Brown Gal
terry101152@msn.com
Posted 10/23/07 at 12:10pm

Post a reply

Pu Pu A O Ewa

http://www.huapala.org/Pupu_A_O_Ewa.html

The lyrics in Hawaiian and English are here

irene bohnsack
irenebohnsack@yahoo.com
Posted 12/20/07 at 12:12pm

Post a reply

Donovan's Reef Soundtrack

Hello, once in a while I try a new research to find Donovan's Reef Soundtrack. I am almost convinced now that I have to listen to the music from the DVD, I believe they did not register the songs in a record at the time.
I wonder if you have been successful in your research!
I look forward to your reply.
Kind regards from Brazil,
Irene

Joseph M. Picone
jmpic1@comcast.net
Posted 1/7/08 at 2:01pm

Post a reply

Donovan's Reef

Does anyone know the name of the very beautiful instrumental heard several times in Donovan's Reef. It plays when the young princess is praying to the Gods when they are out cutting a Christmas tree, and then again during the ceremony when she is being carried by the four police officers. This is a very melodic, slow, wonderful song that I would like to know the name of. Thank You.

sasa
sorrynot_used@gmail.com
Posted 1/12/08 at 8:01pm

Post a reply

origin of these songs

does anyone know the origin of both (1) Pupu ao ewa and (2) Pearly Shells.

I've read that (1) was written for Kahiku O Kalani church and merrie monarch, the King Kalakaua.
Is that true?

also (2), English lyric was written by Webley Edwards & Leon Pober for "Hawaii Calls" radio program.

If you know, please let me know.
I think both versions are beautiful and loved internationally.

Mahalo nui loa

Julian
gymtin@hotmail.com
Posted 2/12/08 at 1:02pm

Post a reply

pearly shells

I first saw 'Donovan's Reef' many years ago but the only thing I remember is the song. Thanks to the internet I can get a clip on 'you tube', but having listened to various 'English' versions, it is the Hawaiian lyrics and their meter which best suits. I thank anyone who's sent in a version. I have a guitar but I may even buy a ukelele. Does anyone, like me, wonder if Dolly Parton had this melody in mind when she wrote 'Dumb Blonde' ?
Many thanks

terry murphy
Posted 2/29/08 at 6:02am

Post a reply

music from "Donovan's Reef"

I've just seen the movie and fell in love with a beautiful,slow instrumental played at various points in the film.I would be so grateful if someone could post some infromation about this.
Thank you.

Rost
rost@lycos.com
Posted 8/3/08 at 5:08pm

Post a reply

Pearl Shells

I am looking for a "pearly shells" karaoke CD.Can you help please?
Thanks.
Rost

Dorothea huntman
dorothea7@bellsouth.net
Posted 10/12/08 at 10:10pm

Post a reply

Did you get an answer

Did you fine the name of the song that was played when they were carring the princess?

Allan
allan.l.martin@optusnet.com.au
Posted 12/21/08 at 4:12pm

Post a reply

Background music

G'day,
Going from memory I think that the name of the beautiful music that you are looking for is "Trade winds".
I kinda remember this music from a long time ago when it was on the radio.
Cheers, Allan

Allan
Posted 12/25/08 at 2:12am

Post a reply

Beautiful song

Hi,
Going from memory, the music/song that you are looking for is "trade winds" played at a somewhat slower (but nicer) pace than the actual song.
I hope that this helps you enjoy the music better. Cheers, Allan

Arsena McIntire
rennogsd1996@verizon.net
Posted 1/21/09 at 2:01am

Post a reply

pearly shells theme

I had heard Pearly Shells by Don Ho but then when I bought Donovan's Reef and heard them Hawaiian version I fell in love. I watch this movie over and over for the music (and of course Duke).

Arsena M.

Son of a Maui son
SoaMP@dodgit.com
Posted 4/19/10 at 2:04pm

Post a reply

Paramount

I know that when I went to see the Elvis flick PARADISE, HAWAIIAN STYLE in the 60s that I was pleasantly surprised to find that Paramount had reused the same PUPU A'O 'EWA music cue from their library.

Unfortunately it never made it to Elvis'soundtrack album.

Judging from the numerous alternate language audio tracks for the various DONOVAN'S REEF DVDs released, I'd hazard a bet that Paramount still has the dialogue-less soundtrack recordings. It might be worth trying to contact GNP Crescendo:

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/contact_us.php

and let them know of our interest as they have some experience getting old movie music soundtracks released.

Aloha Aloha
aloha@aloha.com
Posted 2/13/13 at 12:02pm

Post a reply

NORTH SHORE

Thanks to Jackie in particular with post #2. I've listened to numerous versions of this online and the one that I think is the best is one from two actors, not singers, in the 80's cult film "North Shore." It goes right in line with Jackie's lyrics. If anyone is interested, they sing it around the 46 minute mark on the DVD version.

Aloha!

Irene
irenebohnsack@yahoo.com
Posted 9/13/13 at 1:09pm

Post a reply

CD Donovan's Reef

Dear Terry,
I also fell in love with the slow instrumental played at various points in the film. Did you ever find out more about it?

Top | Bottom
Add a Message to this Topic
(Or... Click here to post a New Topic.)

Yes No